Jordan Rich is the head mens golf coach at Albion College in Albion, MI. Rich was a member of the golf and tennis teams at Albion. A representative to the NCAA Foundation's Leadership Conference in 2001, he also worked as a member of the basketball statisticscrews from 1999-2003 and as a resident assistant during the 2002-03 academic year. Rich served as president of Albion's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee from 2000-03 and served as chairman of the MIAA's Student-Athlete Advisory Council during the 2002-2003 year.
Rich joined the College's information technology division as the user services supervisor in 2008.
2. Current position title
User Services Supervisor & Men’s Golf Coach, Albion College
3. What is your job description
I manage the Technology Help Desk including 2 full-time employees and 10 student employees. I am responsible to all aspects of the men’s golf program including recruiting, scheduling, fundraising, and managing the budget.
4. Do you ever hire interns
5. What traits, characteristics or experience do you look for in a new employee or intern
A willingness to learn, an open mind, and a strong work ethic.
6. What college did you graduate from?
B.A. Economics & Management
7. What was your first paying job?
Claims Risk Management Specialist, Accident Fund Insurance Company of America
8. What was your first job in sports?
Men’s Golf Coach, Albion College
9. What was your most interesting or unique job?
Same job, coaching men’s golf at Albion College. There are a number of different things to consider as a coach that I never gave any thought to as a player.
10. Have you ever had an Internship?
Academic Intern, Accident Fund Insurance Company of America
Through an interview process; I was encouraged to apply by a professor.
That life after college wasn’t going to be as easy as I thought it would be.
11. Best job advice you were ever given?
Don’t quit one job before you have another lined up.
12. What advice would you give to someone trying to get their first job in sports?
Be willing to take a position that might not perfectly align with your goals. Successful work experience in a position you’re not crazy about will look good on a resume to future employers.
13. How many jobs have you had in your career?
I am currently in my second “real job.”
14. What is your dream job if you can work anywhere?
My dream job is to be an intercollegiate athletic director.
15. What is your dream job in sports?
Same as above.
16. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 Years?
I am currently purusing my M.A. in Higher Education Administration at Michigan State University, and I am hopeful that will set me up to pursue my goals in athletic administration.
17. Favorite sports team?
18. Favorite location to see a sporting event?
I have two. A full Kresge Gymnasium and Michigan Stadium.
19. Most memorable sports memory?
My first Michigan – Ohio St. football game. There is nothing else like it.
20. First professional sporting event attended?
A Pistons – Celtics game at the Pontiac Silverdome. At the time, it was most attended game in NBA history.
21. Last book you read?
Game Change and Paper Tiger.
22. Favorite movie?
I don’t know if it is my favorite movie but one I think would fit nicely for a recent college grad unsure of their next step is “The Graduate.”
23. Favorite perk of your current job?
Access to reasonably priced golf equipment.